Committee on Committees, Membership and Constituencies
School of Medicine
Michael Germana, Eberly, Chair-Elect
Carolyn Atkins, Past-Chair, CEHS
Ilkin Bilgesu, Statler College
Annie Cui, Chambers College
David Hauser, Faculty Secretary, ex officio, Eberly
Emily Murphy, Faculty Senate Chair, ex officio, Extension
Nathalie Singh-Corcoran, Faculty Senate Chair-Elect, ex officio, Eberly College
The Committee on Committees, Membership and Constituencies is a constitutional committee. Its size and membership shall be determined by the Senate Executive Committee subject to the approval of the Senate. It shall be the duty of the Committee on Committees, Membership and Constituencies to:
- Annually review and report to the Senate upon the constituencies to be represented within the University Assembly per Article II, Sections 2 and 3, and to recommend such changes as it deems necessary; and
- Secure capable committee members and committee chairs who have experience on their respective committees and to achieve a balance between senior and junior faculty members and among various schools and colleges as much as possible.
Procedure for Populating Committees
- During the spring semester, the Senate office will send a list of Senate Committees to the Faculty Assembly.
- Interested members of the Faculty Assembly will volunteer for committees in which they are interested and return their responses to the Senate office Secretary by a designated date.
- The Senate office will compose a spreadsheet that lists the faculty volunteer’s name. email address, faculty rank, primary constituency, senator/non-senator status, and term end date. It also will include number of senators/non-senators for each committee.
- Using the spreadsheet provided by the Senate office, members of the Committee on Committees, Membership and Constituencies will populate the Senate Committees.
- The following criteria will be incorporated on designated committees:
- Outgoing committee chair’s feedback and chair-elect’s feedback regarding the re-appointment of current committee members;
- Specific number of senators/non-senators required as designated by the Senate;
- Balance between junior and senior faculty;
- Balance among the various schools and colleges.
- In the event that a membership change occurs or a committee chair feels the need for additional members, the following procedure should be followed.
- The designated committee chair shall report the information to the officers of the Senate and/or to the Chair of the Committee on Committees, Membership and Constituencies.
- The Chair and/or members of the Committee on Committees, Membership and Constituencies will:
♦ Discuss possible appointments with the Chair of the designated committee;
♦ Contact the prospective faculty member to confirm interest in serving on the designated committee via email;
♦ Send the prospective committee member’s name to the Faculty Secretary for inclusion in the Senate
Executive Committee agenda and subsequent approval.
The Senate office will confirm approval by emailing the new member and the Chair of the designated committee as well as the Chair of the Committee on Committees, Membership and Constituencies.